On 9/2/2014 5:36 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
import tkinter as tk
root = tk.Tk()
text = tk.Text()
text.pack()
root.mainloop()

I tested tested the functions and wrote the following.

This is a test text entry.
Enter and Tab work as expected.
The Arrow (Cursor) keys work as expected.
CntL-Left and Cntl-Right move a word at time.
Home and End move to beginning and end of the line.
Cntl-Home and Cntl-Up move to the beginning of the text.
Cntl-End and Cntl-Donw move to the end of the text.
Shift + cursor movement selects between the begin and end slice positions.
PageUp and PageDown are inoperative.

My mistake. See below.

Delete and Backspace work as expected.
At least on Windows, I can select text and delete,
or cut or copy to Clipboard.
I can also paste from the clipboard.
In otherwords, this is a functional minimal text entry widget.

'Minimal' mean minimal, as in the minimal number of lines of code to actually work (4), as a the minimum needed to prove the concept, and a starting point for adding more things.

Err, that's not all it takes to run an editor :) File opening

The opening premise of the thread was something like "Input() is good for getting a single line of text input from a user. What about getting multiple lines of text?" Opening a non-empty existing file is not relevant to the purpose of extending input(). I intentionally said 'text entry widget', not 'editor'. For editing a particular existing text, the app might pre-load the widget with that text.

saving would be kinda helpful, for a start...

It is really annoying when someone clips (erases) something I said and then says that I should have said what I did say. Here it is again!

>> In use, a save function would have to be added.

The function does not have to be attached to menu widget. When one imports a patch into a mercurial repository, hg offers the opportunity to enter a multi-line commit message. Just the scenario this thread started with. It opens a text entry window something like tkinter.Text. It is preloaded with something like the following.

-----------------------------------X|
|                                   |
|===================================|
|Enter commit message above the line|
|or leave blank to abort commit.    |
|Close window when done.            |

Hg intercepts the window close event to grab the entered text, if any, before it disappears.

But that's what I meant when I said that a multi-line entry field is
an extremely standard widget. (I'm a bit surprised that PgUp/PgDn
don't work,

My mistake. They do when I add more lines than fit in the window.

--
Terry Jan Reedy