On 09/30/2014 10:55 AM, c...@isbd.net wrote:
Dave Angel <da...@davea.name> wrote:
  name. And presumably you never remove an old name from the
  config.

The only things really likely to change (and may change regularly) are
the conversion factors, drifting voltage references etc. will
inevitably require these to be recalibrated every so often.  Other
than that it's just typos or me deciding to change the name of
something.

Right there you have an important design decision. You then presumably have to have a way that each particular data point can record what configuration it's associated with. If you just change the calibration data externally, then all the old records are invalidated.

More troublesome is adding a new kind of data. You have to decide
  whether it's worth generalizing the code to anticipate the
  change,  or just admit that the code will grow at that point and
  that old code won't deal with the new data.

There's a separate module for each input type (just ADC and 1-wire at
the moment), I don't anticipate any more though I suppose there might
be digital inputs one day.  So a configuration [file] for each type
seems to make sense, generalising it would be more trouble than it's
worth I think.

--
DaveA