On 10/30/2014 6:21 PM, Joel Goldstick wrote:
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Virgil Stokes <v...@it.uu.se> wrote:
While running a python program I need to save some of the data that is being
created. I would like to save the data to a file on a disk according to a
periodical schedule  (e.g. every 10 minutes). Initially, the amount of data
is small (< 1 MB) but after sometime the amount of data can be >10MB. If a
problem occurs during data creation, then the user should be able to start
over from the last successfully saved data.

For my particular application, no other file is being saved and the data
should always replace (not be appended to) the previous data saved. It is
important that  the data be saved without any obvious distraction to the
user who is busy creating more data. That is, I would like to save the data
"in the background".

What is a good method to perform this task using Python 2.7.8 on a Win32
platform?

I've not tried this, but stackoverflow has a solution that looks like
it could work for you:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16214736/write-data-to-disk-in-python-as-a-background-process

Python 3.4 should have an asyncio solution.

--
Terry Jan Reedy