On 11/26/2014 08:12 AM, random...@fastmail.us wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014, at 01:04, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
In this case, I am not trying to write a fullblown language or recover
from syntax errors.   Here's a usecase - I want to know whether I need
to use a sudo password when the user passes a command on the command line
of a program:

someprog.py uname && sudo cat /etc/sudoers

vs.

someprog.py uname && echo "sudo cat /etc/suoders"

In the first instance, I need the sudo passoword, in the second I don't.

I think first you need to understand how the command line works. Much of
this parsing - including both && and quotes - is handled by the shell
before your program ever sees it.

I am not writing in shell nor am I escaping to the shell locally for execution

someprog.py is a paramiko-based wrapper that executes the given command
on many machines remotely.  I (over) simplified the example and in my
haste introduced and incorrect idea.  What this should say is: