Yeah, the problem seems to be with registry as every solution seems to be
fiddling with registry.

I know that reinstalling OS is a really bad idea. But I have tried to find a
way to solve this for months now. I have started a bounty on superuser also for
the same in the question "Python IDLE disappeared from the right click context
menu". And asking on these groups was the last thing I can think of.

I uninstalled via the Control Panel. I installed via the official Python
installer for Windows.

I also don't understand how a start menu entry can begin an installation but it
is doing just that. Now there seems to be 4 IDLE entries in my start menu. Two
are valid (2.7.8, 3.4.2). The other two are previous installations of Python
3.4  that I did at different locations but removed later. I have stopped
running IDLE from the start menu due to this. Because I am never sure whether
it will re-install Python 3.4 at those old locations or not. Even right
clicking those entries in start menu causes the installations to start. So I
cannot even find the physical path of those entries.

Maybe too much fiddling with the registry has caused it. Not sure about that.