In article <mailman.16217.1416793733.18130.python-l...@python.org>,
Skip Montanaro  <skip.montan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>I want to add one more thing to the other responses. People new to Python
>often seem unaware that being an interpreted language, often the best way
>to figure something out is to simply try it at the interpreter prompt. The
>OP saw "var ** 2" in done code. The most obvious thing to me would have
>been to type
>
>var = 42
>var ** 2
>
>and see what happened. It's unlikely to trigger a nuclear meltdown, or even
>crash the interpreter.
>
>Skip
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>[Alternative: text/html]
>-=-=-=-=-=-

With some perseverance, you can ask the interpreter what `` ** ''
does:

help(**)
<syntax error>
maybe so?
help('**')
Indeed, a whole description.

help(var)
help(42)
also work.

Come on, guys and dolls! Your advice to a newbies is soso,
if in this kind of answer, the help facilitiy is not
mentionned.

Groetjes Albert