Fixed it!

The aforementioned article is correct. I downloaded the RegDelNull program
mentioned in the article
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897448.aspx) and ran it on
hkcr, hkcu, hklm, hku, and hkcc (short for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG),
respectively. It deleted a bunch of keys. Rerunning the program you posted
earlier revealed no keys with embedded nulls in their names, and ensurepip now
works.

I have no idea how these keys got there. For all I know they are the result of
malware.

I think it would be worthwhile changing the Python code to detect nulls and
perhaps issue a warning that directs people to this article or something like
it.