On 1/24/2015 6:53 PM, Christopher J. Pisz wrote:
I am trying to help a buddy out. I am a C++ on Windows guy. This buddy
of mine is learning Python at work on a Mac. I figured I could
contribute with non language specific questions and such.

When learning any new language, I said, the first step would be a Hello
World program. Let's see if we can get that to work.

So my buddy creates opens the IDE they gave at the workplace, creates a
new project, adds a demo.py file, writes one line : print "Hello World",
hits Run in the IDE and indeed the display is shown at the bottom when
it executes.

I say the next step would be to get that to run on the command line. So
(keep in mind I know nothing about macs) my buddy opens a "zsh?" window,
cd to the directory, and I say the command i most likely: python demo.py

It looks like it executes but there is no output to the command line
window.

It should.  In a Windows console, using 3.4:
C:\Programs\Python34>type tem.py  # cat on Mac?
print('Hello World!')

C:\Programs\Python34>python tem.py
Hello World!

> Can anyone explain why there is no output?

Without a copy of the file and command, as above, no.

> Can anyone recommend a good walkthrough of getting set up and doing basics?

Since you used 2.x  print syntax: https://docs.python.org/2.7/

"Python Setup and Usage
how to use Python on different platforms"

"Tutorial
start here"

> I'll probably end up learning python myself, just to help out.

You might possibly enjoy Python as a complement to C++. Some people prototype in Python and rewrite time critical functions in C++. One can access .dlls either directly (via the ctypes module) and write a wrapper file in C or C++. I believe Python has also been used to write tests for C++ functions (I know this is true for Python and Java, via Jython).

--
Terry Jan Reedy