On Feb 24, 2015, at 8:23 AM, Fabio Zadrozny <fabi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cem,
>
> I didn't read the whole long thread, but I thought I'd point you to what I'm
> using in PyVmMonitor (http://www.pyvmmonitor.com/) -- which may already cover
> your use-case.
>
> Take a look at the callback.py at
> https://github.com/fabioz/pyvmmonitor-core/blob/master/pyvmmonitor_core/callback.py
>
> And its related test (where you can see how to use it):
> https://github.com/fabioz/pyvmmonitor-core/blob/master/_pyvmmonitor_core_tests/test_callback.py
>  (note that it falls back to a strong reference on simple functions -- i.e.:
> usually top-level methods or methods created inside a scope -- but otherwise
> uses weak references).

That looks like a better version of what I was thinking about originally.
However, various people on the list have convinced me to stick with strong
references everywhere.  I'm working out a possible API right now, once I have
some code that I can use to illustrate what I'm thinking to everyone, I'll post
it to the list.

Thank you for showing me your code though, it is clever!

Thanks,
Cem Karan