Hi,

I'm a complete neophyte to the whole use of GNU autotools/automake/auto... .
(I'm not sure what it should be called anymore.)  Regardless, I'm porting a
library project, for which I'm a team member, to using this toolset for
building in Linux.  I'm to the point now of writing the Makefile.am file for
the actual library.  (There are several other static libraries compiled first
that are sucked into this shared object file.)

I found some references here:
http://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/automake/manual/html_node/Python.html,
 which seemed to be just what I was after.  However, I've got a big question
about a file named "module.la" instead of "module.so" which is what we compile
it to now.

I guess I should have mentioned some background.  Currently, we build this tool
through some homegrown makefiles.  This has worked, but distribution is
difficult and our product must now run on an embedded platform (so building it
cleanly requires the use of autotools).

Basically, I need this thing to install to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages
when the user invokes "make install".  I thought the variables and primaries
discussed at the link above were what I needed.  However, what is a "*.la"?
I'm reading up on libtool now, but will it function the same way as a *.so?

I need pointers on where to go from here.

Thanks,
Andy