On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Travis Griggs <travisgri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Make your language have a lot of keywords. Enough to make memorizing them
> ALL unlikely, requiring constant visits to your documentation
> * Make sure said keywords are many of the obvious words programmers would use
> in their applications (map, object, bytes, dir, etc)

None of those are keywords. Keywords are these:
https://docs.python.org/3/reference/lexical_analysis.html#keywords

> * Design your syntax so that you can’t disambiguate them contextually between
> bind and reference

Maybe I misunderstand your complaint, but Python draws a sharp
syntactic distinction between references and assignment targets: the
latter are only ever found to the left of an = in an assignment
statement; the former are never found there. There is no reason why an
editor should be unable to tell the difference.

> * Be sure to use it in a late bound language where no warnings will be
> provided about the mistake you’re making at authorship time, deferring the
> educational experience to sundry run times

You should lint your code to get warnings about this (and many other
things) at authorship time. A good editor should also provide some
visual warning when a built-in is shadowed.