On 28/02/2015 15:46, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 2:33 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

It also makes me wonder what idiot decided to use C as the language for the
first Python implementation? Or was it written in something else and then
ported?

Guido, probably. And what other language would you suggest? What other
language has comparably extensive multi-platform support? Writing a
Python implementation in C instantly makes Python available on all
sorts of platforms, with direct access to native libraries on all of
them. For example, CPython on Windows can make use of a whole bunch of
Microsoft's win32 APIs, via the pywin32 extensions; meanwhile, CPython
on Linux can use the inotify functions, again via an extension module
(pyinotify or python-inotify). Jython doesn't offer that, as far as I
know; or rather, Jython offers access to Java classes rather than to C
libraries, and there are a lot more of the latter than the former. Of
all the languages that offer convenient access to the same sorts of
libraries that C code can (generally, those that compile to machine
code and use the same kinds of linker information), which would you
suggest as being better than C?

C may not be perfect, but it's pretty decent at what it does.

ChrisA

I love fishing, just dangle the bait and wait to see what bites :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence