On 02/03/2015 15:42, Fabien wrote:
On 02.03.2015 15:26, Mark Lawrence wrote:

Have you tried Pandas? http://pandas.pydata.org/

If your csv file has no other problems, the following should do the
trick:

import pandas as pd
df = pd.read_csv('file.csv', index_col=0, parse_dates= {"time" : [0]})

Cheers,

Fabien

IMHO complete overkill.  Give me the Steven D'Aprano solution any day of
the week.

Without knowing anything about the OP background, I still hope my
suggestion is a good one. Pandas is one of the best thing that happened
to me in my python life, I'm happy to at least suggest it. But yeah, if
you just want to read the csv and do no data crunching on it, pandas is
"overkill".

Fabien

I've used pandas myself and I'll admit to being very impressed. However the OP originally said 'I have a csv file, the first item on a line is the date in the format 2015-03-02 I try to get that as a date by date(row[0]), but it barfs, replying "Expecting an integer".' Without finding out exactly what the OP is trying to achieve, telling them to download a package such as pandas just to convert a string to a date is overkill when there's a solution in the stdlib.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence