Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> writes:
> Have you tried Factor? I'm wondering if it is worth looking at, as a
> more modern and less low-level version of Forth.

Factor is basically Lisp with Forth-based syntax, from what I can tell.
Tagged objects, garbage collection, etc.

Forth is traditionally a self-hosted low level language with a
minimalistic spirit.  It uses native machine words containing numbers or
machine pointers like assembly language does, with no typechecking of
any sort.  I'd say there is a rather big cultural and technical divide
between Forth and Factor, despite some surface similarities.

The comp.lang.forth newsgroup is actually quite lively and interesting
and I'm a semi-regular there, though I use Forth only sort of casually,
mostly for the change of perspective it brings to programming, rather
than because I see it as a good way to deliver an end result.

This article is critical of Forth and somewhat unpopular on the Forth
newsgroup but it describes Forth's flavor from the "other side":

http://yosefk.com/blog/my-history-with-forth-stack-machines.html