On 21/04/2015 21:22, Robert Kern wrote:
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Rob Clewley <rob.clew...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm in need of a system for logging the step-wise results and
diagnostic metadata about a python function implementation of an
algorithm that I'm developing. The specific algorithm is not of great
consequence except that it's for scientific computing and may produce
large (e.g., '00s or maybe '000s, but not "big data" scale) amounts of
intermediate numerical data that can be complex to understand when
debugging its progress.

In fact, I'm trying to build a general purpose tool for exploring the
inner workings of numerical algorithms for teaching and learning
purposes, e.g. for graduate student training or for figuring out
parameter choices in difficult applications.

The term you want to search for is "structured logging".

http://www.structlog.org/en/stable/
http://eliot.readthedocs.org/en/stable/
https://twiggy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/logging.html#structured-logging
http://netlogger.lbl.gov/

--
Robert Kern

Thanks for the term, which I've certainly never heard before, and the links.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence