On 05/05/2015 09:19, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Tuesday 05 May 2015 08:02, BartC wrote:

(I think I would have picked up "++" and "--" as special tokens even if
increment/decrement ops weren't supported. Just because they would
likely cause errors through misunderstanding.)

Just because C made a mistake, doesn't mean other languages have to
slavishly follow it.

I would have thought there was more rapport between the two languages. Python is often implemented in C and extensions are often implemented in C, suggesting there are quite a few people familiar with both, sometimes in areas that are critical (ie. creating code that will affect thousands of Python apps).

So why pretend that ++ and -- don't exist? After all Python borrows "=", "==" and "!=" from C.

(Writing a==b instead of a=b is less likely in Python than in a language where a=b is an equality test rather than assignment. But I've used just such a language where mistakenly writing a=b (which happens when switching between languages) caused difficult-to-find bugs.

Until I disallowed standalone expressions as statements, then these things are picked up, and they are invariably unintended errors. Where it is actually necessary to evaluate an expression and throw away the result, then a simple prefix can be used.)

--
Bartc