On May 20, 2015, at 7:44 AM, Parul Mogra <scoria....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> My objective is to create large amount of data files (say a million *.json
> files), using a pre-existing template file (*.json). Each file would have a
> unique name, possibly by incorporating time stamp information. The files have
> to be generated in a folder specified.
>
> What is the best strategy to achieve this task, so that the files will be
> generated in the shortest possible time? Say within an hour.

If you absolutely don't care about the name, then something like the following
will work:

    import uuid
    for counter in range(1000000):
        with open(uuid.uuid1().hex.upper() + ".json", "w") as f:
            f.write(templateString)

where templateString is the template you want to write to each file.  The only
problem is that the files won't be in any particular order; they'll just be
uniquely named.  As a test, I ran the code above, but I killed the loop after
about 10 minutes, at which point about 500,000 files were created.  Note that
my laptop is about 6 years old, so you might get better performance on your
machine.

Thanks,
Cem Karan