On 2015-07-12 18:33, Simon Evans wrote:

Dear Peter Otten,
I typed in (and did not copy and paste) the code as you suggested just now
(6.28 pm, Sunday 12th July 2015), this is the result I got:
Python 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win
32
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
with open("C:\Beautiful Soup\ecologicalpyramid.html","r")as f:
... soup = BeautifulSoup(f,"lxml")
   File "<stdin>", line 2
     soup = BeautifulSoup(f,"lxml")
        ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block
soup = BeautifulSoup(f,"lxml")
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'f' is not defined

The first time I typed in the second line, I got the
"Indentation error"
the second time I typed in exactly the same code, I got the:
"NameError:name 'f' is not defined"

Python parses the lines, and, if there are no syntax errors, it then
executes them.

That block of code (the 2 lines) contained a syntax (indentation)
error in the second line, so _none_ of the block was executed, and,
therefore, 'f' isn't defined.