Every time I try to do a python manage.py migrate I get:
django.db.utils.OperationalError: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"
FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"

System Debian linux jessie
python 2.79
Django 1.8
Postgresql 9.4.3 database
Using virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper

Postgres has root privileges in the Debian passwd file.

Project settings.py file database setup
        # Database
        # https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/ref/settings/#databases

        DATABASES = {
            'default': {
                'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.postgresql_psycopg2',
                'NAME': 'archivedb',
                'USER': 'postgres',
                'PASSWORD': 'xxxxxx', # A valid debian pw
                'HOST': '127.0.0.1',
                'PORT': '5432'
            }
        }

I'm not certain how this should be corrected. Postgres ( using \d commands) does not seem to have any privileges set. Am I supposed to go outside the virtual environment to set up a postgres account in postgres or is Django supposed to do this with the migrate command. I feel like I am at a critical point where I can really screw things up and need some expert advise. This is my first time working with python / Django and am really shaky. I do have another learning project (rango) using SQLite that works fine.

Gary R