On 2015-07-22 16:27, Antoon Pardon wrote:
On 07/22/2015 11:09 AM, alister wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:12:59 +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:

The biggest use I have for decimal numbers that begin with 0 is in
credit card numbers, account numbers and the like where the first check
you do is 'does this thing have the correct number of digits'.
So far, all the examples I've been able to find in my code -- which does
this sort of stuff a lot -- is looking at string versions of decimal
numbers, but I suspect there is old code out there in the wild which
just used integers.

Laura

This type of information should be stored as a string not any type of
numeric format, if you are not performing maths on it then it is a string
& not a number.

Does the same condition hold for strings? If you are not performing string
operations on something, it is not a string?

Tkinter comes to mind. You specify how widgets are laid out strings
that are basically flags:

    text_widget.pack(side=LEFT, fill=BOTH, expand=YES)

where LEFT, BOTH and YES are strings.