On 08/10/2015 01:43 PM, E.D.G. wrote:
[snip]
       It has been my experience that researchers, particularly scientists,
need to have some
versatile and powerful programming language available that is compatible with
the Windows
operating system.  The language needs to make certain resources available to
the researchers.
And in some form it should ultimately be compatible with other operating
systems.
[snip]

This is just a comment that may or may not be worthwhile...

I just ran across a new O'Reilly book, Effective Computation in Physics (subtitle: Field Guide to Research with Python), ISBN: 978-1-491-90153-3. It seems to cover all the subjects you bring up, and specifically uses Python.

I have only glanced through it and I'm not ready to comment on it myself -- (Aside: I was once a physics major (unfortunately unsuccessful), but that was a loooooonnngg time ago.) But quoting the blurb on the back cover...

<quote>
More physicists today are taking on the role of software development as part of their research, but software development isn't always easy or obvious, even for physicists. This practical book teaches essential software development skills to help you automate and accomplish nearly any aspect of research in a physics-based field.

Written by two PhDs in nuclear engineering, this book includes practical examples drawn from a working knowledge of physics concepts. You'll learn now to use the Python programming language to perform everything from collecting and analyzing data to building software and publishing your results.
</quote>

I don't know if a book is relevant to your needs, but I thought it was worth
mentioning.

     -=- Larry -=-