"James Harris" <james.harri...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:msv21t$n1m$1...@dont-email.me...

"Grant Edwards" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:msum6c$hv$1...@reader1.panix.com...

Waking up twice per second and immediately
calling select() again on any hardware/OS built in the past 50 years
is going completely negligible (as long as you can ignore the smell).

CPU usage is not the only issue but it is a consideration. I tested it before posting the code and couldn't see any significant increase in CPU use. To give it a better test I have just left running for a couple of hours or so. I am pleased to say it currently reports a cumulative total of 0:00:00, i.e. it has not clocked up even a second of CPU time yet!

I am beginning to wonder if time is being accounted properly. It has now been running 8 hours and still shows CPU time as zero.

James