On 10/21/2015 11:24 AM, Terry Alexander via Python-list wrote:

I have tried installing both Python 2.7 and 3.5, and in both cases I
cannot get IDLE to work. I received the following message both times:

What OS? Windows? which version? How did you start IDLE? Start menu icon? Command line?

IDLE’s subprocess didn’t make connection.Either IDLE can’t start a
subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection.

I am running Norton, and disabled it, but still IDLE will not run. Any
suggestions?

Don't shout with ALL CAPS in the subject line. It usually indicates spam. I already know that this problem is very frustrating.

Firewalls are seldom the problems anymore. I occasionally saw this on Win 7 when restarting, but never on startup, and never more than once or twice in a session.

What's left is misconfiguration of your network interface that prevents a loopback connection. There might be answers on Stackoverflow that would help, depending on your OS.

In the meanwhile, you can start IDLE with the -n option. Either use a command line or create an 'IDLE -n' icon. Again, details depend on exact OS.

--
Terry Jan Reedy