On 10/26/2015 7:28 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 10/24/2015 3:00 PM, Vijay kumar wrote:
Hi,

I recently installed python 2.7 on my windows 10 laptop. When i launch
python by clicking the python idle the following error appears

In attached image. You should also type the text so it appears in

even before i do anything.

Just click OK and continue.  This should really be a warning, not an

I changed the 'error' to a warning and expanded the message a bit, including 'select OK and continue'.

error.  You will see it once each session, but only once. The recent
files list will not be saved for when you restart IDLE the next time.

It is up to you to determine why it cannot be written in your home
directory and whether you can change permissions.

Before IDLE tries to write to $Home/.idlerc/recent-files.lst it reads it, so it exists. It does this on startup. Something or someone other than IDLE made it read only.

--
Terry Jan Reedy