On 25/11/2015 13:53, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
BartC <b...@freeuk.com>:

Using tuples in the same way that other languages implement records is
going to be difficult if you can't change the values of the fields!

Guido could decide tomorrow that tuples are mutable.

(Could that be done without breaking existing code? And what then would be the difference between them and lists?)

Anyway, Python has two ways to represent records: classes and tuples.
Tuples are nice because they are concise and ad hoc. Often you start
with a scalar value, then turn it into a tuple. After a while your handy
tuple turns out a bit cumbersome to use so you convert it into an actual
class.

This is how records are handled in another language which I believe is simpler than Python: http://pastebin.com/vhsJML8U

This also implements my example from earlier in the thread. Now compare with Python's approach.

OK, that also needs two concepts, a list, and a record. But the distinction is now completely obvious. Records are also mutable. It would also be clear why you can't append to a record.

Now try explaining again to me how you would use tuples for the same thing...

--
Bartc