On 26/11/2015 20:00, Ben Finney wrote:
Dave Farrance <df@see.replyto.invalid> writes:

Dave Farrance <df@see.replyto.invalid>:

(Conversely, I see that unlike CPython, all PyPy's numbers have
unchanging ids, even after exiting PyPy and restarting, so it seems
that PyPy's numerical ids are "faked".)

Hence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes

I saw the scare quotes. They still communicate your position that object
identity “should” be reliably connected to the object's memory location.

Either you don't hold that position, in which case your original
statement was as ambiguous as this most recent one you wrote; or you do
hold that position, and my response stands.

It still fascinates me that after roughly 15 years using Python I've never considered using object identity, let alone actually done so. What, if anything, have I missed out on?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence