On 02/12/2015 13:41, Antoon Pardon wrote:
Op 02-12-15 om 14:11 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:09 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:

If you want your arguments to be taken seriously, then you better should.
If you use an argument when it suits you and ignore it when it doesn't
you are showing you don't really have an argument. You are just showing
your preference and making it sound like an argument.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

So? That doesn't show that we are talking about a foolish consistency here.

This pseudo kind of arguing happens a lot on this list. A lot of the times
one just throws out some proverb as if it is at all clear that the proverb
applies.

Somebody points out an inconsistency and out comes the above proverb, without
much arguments that this inconsisty has advantages over a more consistent
approach.

Thank you for your feedback. If you ever decide to post here to make
constructive comments or to help others, instead of just flaunting your
imagined superiority and whinging and moaning about the rest of us, then
I'll start to take your arguments seriously too.

Oh come of your high horse. If people use arguments in a selective way,
I can point that out. If you selectively apply an argument so you ignore
the counter arguments when it suits you, that is not a constructive comment
either and you can expect people to point out when that first argument can
be used against you in the same way.

Then going on to complain about non constructive comments seems a bit
disingenous.

Would the pair of you, Antoon and Steven, be kind enough to take your bickering offline, thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence