"Chris Angelico" wrote in message news:CAPTjJmoPXFSnXe1QA8MjjncBZBpqNkztha8YHJv=mbm--ze...@mail.gmail.com...

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Frank Millman <fr...@chagford.com> wrote:
> I can reproduce your example above. However, if I set the initial value > to
> 5678.7, then the sequence goes
>
> 5678.7
> 5802.15
> 5925.6
> 6049.05
> 6172.5
>
> I would have thought that adding 123.45 to 5802.15 would always produce > the
> same result, but here it seems to depend on prior events.
>
> Any idea why? Academic interest only, but I am curious.

You weren't adding 123.45 to 5802.15. Here's why.

[snip really interesting explanation]

Wow, thanks for that, Chris. Consider my academic curiosity well and truly satisfied :-)

I have found a workaround for my problem, but I will post that in a separate message - still testing to make sure it is 100%.

Frank