"Oscar Benjamin" wrote in message news:cahvvxxsa0yq4voyy6qycgxxvpl5zzgm8muui+1vmezd8crg...@mail.gmail.com...

The simplest thing would just be to call list(cur) but I realise that
you don't want to consume more than 2 rows from the database so just
use islice:

rows = list(islice(cur, 2))  # pull at most 2 rows
if not rows:
    # no rows
elif len(rows) > 1:
    # too many rows
row = rows[0]

I like the idea, but I don't think it would work with an asychronous iterable. OTOH it should not be difficult to roll your own using the example in the itertools docs as a base. Except that the example uses next(it) internally, and this thread started with the fact that there is no asychronous equivalent, so I might be back to square one.

But these are all variations on a similar theme, so I don't think it matters which one I choose. I will go through them at my leisure and pick the most readable one.

Thanks

Frank