"Paul Rubin" wrote in message news:87h9ha8lt0....@jester.gateway.pace.com...

"Frank Millman" <fr...@chagford.com> writes:
> The benefit of my class is that it enables me to take the coroutine
> and run it in another thread, without having to re-engineer the whole
> thing.

Threads in Python don't get you parallelism either, of course.

Agreed. My class does not alter the total time taken, but it does free up the original task to carry on with other work.

run_in_executor() uses threads by default, but it does allow you to specify processes as an alternative.

I haven't used async/await yet and it's looking painful.  I've been
wanting to read this:

 http://www.snarky.ca/how-the-heck-does-async-await-work-in-python-3-5

but I start to think it isn't all that great an approach to concurrency.

Thanks for that link. I had a quick scan, and it looks interesting, but some of it a bit above my head. I have bookmarked it, as I think that as my understanding increases, I will gain more from it on each re-read.

Frank