On Thursday, 18 February 2016 18:24:55 UTC+2, Dan Strohl  wrote:
> I totally agree with Chris here, try it out, do some simpler things to get
> your feet wet before committing to redoing hundreds of thousands of lines of
> code in it.  Find a few of the "deal breakers" and try to solve them in
> Python (create a hello world app in python, then package it in an exe and
> distribute it to some friends).. VB is a fine language, and is likely to suit
> your needs as well... even if we all believe that Python is better, the
> effort to convert from one to the other may not make sense.

How long can I depend on VB? I don't really mind learning one more language if
there is sufficient utility of it. Besides, I hear that Python is relatively
easy to learn compared to C++ or Java.

I have some smaller VB programs (single form, little math) for my own use. I
could convert those first and get a feel of how it is going to be with larger
programs with thousands of lines.

> I would also suggest taking a few steps back and seeing if there is a
> different overall architectural approach that makes sense.  If you are using
> a heavy weight local app, what about a web app?

Some things I do can be done in a web app, but the important stuff has to be
put into *.exe files for myself and others to use.

> What about doing a combination approach?  Have a back end running on a server
> with Python, that feeds a VB app on a client for displaying and manipulating
> data? (then a Java app for mobile clients or Linux ones?)

I do not know Java, and don't feel inclined to learn that. If I could use VB
for years, I need not consider moving over to Python. The trouble is that I
don't think we can trust VB (VB6 particularly, but even VB.net) for too long.

> Also, looking at existing frameworks and expandable apps out there that you
> might be able to do less work but still meet your goals with because 80% of
> the work was done for you... things like django, splunk, tableau, etc...
>
> Dan

Thanks.