BartC writes:

> On 21/02/2016 07:28, Larry Hudson wrote:
>> On 02/20/2016 10:38 AM, wrong.addres...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Or can I write my own reading subroutines which can then be called like
>>> ReadVBstyle 8, ND, NIN, NT
>>> to make the code more readable?
>
>> ABSOLUTELY!!  Most Python programming consists of defining the functions
>> and classes needed, which definitely makes Python more readable.
>
>> No need for anyone to re-invent the
>> wheel!  ;-)
>
> I keep seeing this in the thread. Python has all this capability, yet
> it still requires a lot of fiddly code to be added to get anywhere
> near as simple as this:
>
>   read f, a, b, c
>
> And this is code that is not going to be obvious to anyone starting
> out. Even accepting that syntax limitations might require this to be
> written as:
>
>   readline(f, a, b, c)
>
> I can't see a straightforward way of making this possible while still
> keeping a, b and c simple integer, float or string types (because
> Python's reference parameters don't work quite the right way).
>
> (There is also the question of 'readline' knowing what types of values
> to read. This information would not be needed in Fortran or Basic but
> somehow needs to be supplied here, if a particular set of types is to
> imposed on the input.)
>
> In other words, it seems this particular wheel does require
> re-inventing!

It's hardly Python's problem if an engineer is worried about some VB not
being there in its current form in the future. The sample code upthread
seemed gibberish to me - anybody capable of learning *that* should be
*able* to also learn Python, and then the input parsing business is not
only simple but also flexible, as already demonstrated by others. The
following assumes that the author of the code knows the desired types,
and does not assume a working DWIM feature. I wouldn't name things quite
like that in real code.

from io import StringIO

def funcall(f, x):
    return f(x)

def Input(source, *dims):
    return tuple(map(funcall, dims, next(source).split()))

def Vector(dim, times):
    return tuple([dim] * times)

N020SdotTXT = ''' 10            6             1
8.65  0.2192347   3.33E-4    44     0.0051        6
9
 1
2 1
 3 '''

Number8 = StringIO(N020SdotTXT)

ND, NIN, NT = Input(Number8, int, int, int)
DINCOL = Input(Number8, *Vector(float, NIN))
[NINE] = Input(Number8, int)
[ONE] = Input(Number8, float)
TWO = Input(Number8, float, int)
[THREE] = Input(Number8, str)

Hash = dict

print('ND = {}, NIN = {}, NT = {}'.format(ND, NIN, NT),
      DINCOL,
      Hash(NINE = NINE, ONE = ONE, TWO = TWO, THREE = THREE),
      sep = '\n')

# Output:
# ND = 10, NIN = 6, NT = 1
# (8.65, 0.2192347, 0.000333, 44.0, 0.0051, 6.0)
# {'NINE': 9, 'TWO': (2.0, 1), 'ONE': 1.0, 'THREE': '3'}

/s