On 02/22/2016 02:25 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 22Feb2016 10:11, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
On 02/14/2016 04:08 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

I am unconcerned with whether there is a real filesystem entry of that
name; the goal entails having no filesystem activity for this. I want a
valid unique filesystem path, without touching the filesystem.

This is impossible.  If you don't touch the file system you have no
way to know if the path is unique.

I think Ben wants to avoid filesystem modification (let us ignore atime
here). So one can read the filesystem to see what is current, but he
does not want to actually make any new filesystem entry.

Hmm -- well, he says "the goal entails having no filesystem activity for this", and seeing what already exists definitely requires file system activity . . .

--
~Ethan~