On 17/03/2016 16:36, Charles T. Smith wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:21:51 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

well, I don't want to forgo REs in order to have python's numbers be better....

The issue is not avoiding REs, but using Python's strengths and idioms.
   Write the code in Python's style, get the same results, then compare
the times.

Yes, your point was to forge REs despite that they are useful.
I could have thought the search would have been better as:

     'release[-.:][Rr]eq'

or something else ... you're in a "defend python at all costs!" mode.

I believe it is more along the lines of "In Rome, do as the Romans".

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence