On 4/16/2016 12:58 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
Larry Martell <larry.mart...@gmail.com>:

I have worked for many companies where you are required to get a clean
run of pep8 on your code before your pull request will even be
considered for approval. I don't agree with this at all, as I think it
makes the code very ugly, especially enforcing the max line length.

Agh, I was with you until your last remark.

A max line length of 79 characters is among the *only* rigorous
principles I judge coding style on.

It comes with the maxim that one function must be visible at once on the
screen.

if we still had 1970's 80 character TTYs that would matter but on my
29" 1920x1080 screen it doesn't.

It depends on whether one prefers to use the extra width to have long lines or side-by-side windows. I prefer the latter.

--
Terry Jan Reedy