On 02/05/16 22:30, moa47...@gmail.com wrote:
Can someone help me understand why or under what circumstances a list
shows pointers instead of the text data?

When Python's "print" statement/function is invoked, it will print the textual representation of the object according to its class's __str__ or
__repr__ method. That is, the print function prints out whatever text
the class says it should.

For classes which don't implement a __str__ or __repr__ method, then
the text "<CLASS object at ADDRESS>" is used - where CLASS is the class
name and ADDRESS is the "memory pointer".

> If I iterate over the list, I do get the actual text of each element
> and am able to use it.
>
> Also, if I iterate over the list and place each element in a new list
> using append, then each element in the new list is the text I expect
> not memory pointers.

Look at the __iter__ method of the class of the object you are iterating over. I suspect that it returns string objects, not the objects that are in the list itself.

String objects have a __str__ or __repr__ method that represents them as the text, so that is what 'print' will output.

Hope that helps, E.