Pete Forman wrote:
Gregory Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

Pete Forman wrote:

However I am coming from scientific measurements where 1.0 is the
stored value for observations between 0.95 and 1.05.

You only know that because you're keeping some extra information in
your head about what the 1.0 stored in your computer represents.

No, that is a real case. Floating point hardware can hold intermediate
values in 80 bit registers

I don't see how that's relevant. My point is that if all
you gave me was a file containing the IEEE representation
of a floating point 1.0 and no other information, I would
have no way of telling that you intended it to represent
a value between 0.95 and 1.05, as opposed to 0.9995 to
1.0005 or any other range. That's true regardless of
whether 32 bits, 64 bits or 80 bits is being used.

--
Greg