On 25/05/16 11:19, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Wednesday 25 May 2016 19:10, Christopher Reimer wrote:

Back in the early 1980's, I grew up on 8-bit processors and latin-1 was all
we had for ASCII.

It really, truly wasn't. But you can be forgiven for not knowing that, since
until the rise of the public Internet most people weren't exposed to more than
one code page or encoding, and it was incredibly common for people to call
*any* encoding "ASCII".

Indeed - at that time, I was working with COBOL on an IBM S/370. On that system, we used EBCDIC ASCII. That was the wierdest ASCII of all <ducks> ;)

E.