On 5/29/2016 2:12 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

In short that a € costs more than a $ is a combination of the factors
- a natural cause -- there are a million chars to encode (lets assume that the
million of Unicode is somehow God-given AS A SET)
- an artificial political one -- out of the million-factorial permutations of
that million, the one that the Unicode consortium chose is towards satisfying
the
equation: Keep ASCII users undisturbed and happy

From the Python developer viewpoint, Unicode might as well be a fact of nature. I also note that in English text, a (phoneme) char conveys about 6 bits of information, while in Chinese text, a (word) char conveys perhaps 15 bits of information. So I argue that Python 3.3+'s FSR is being fair in using 1 byte for the first and most often 2 bytes for the other.

--
Terry Jan Reedy