On 02/06/2016 22:57, Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:

On 02.06.2016 12:35, John Pote wrote:
I've used wxPython (www.wxpython.org) for a few GUI projects and found it ok. It's a wrapper for the wxWidgets C++ library. There's even a reasonable free GUI builder, wxGlade, which I use as I prefer constructing GUI's that way rather than writing raw wxPython code. Never tried any of the paid for GUI builders. Disadvantage is the download page only provides builds for Python 2.6 or 2.7.

Does anyone know how Project Phoenix is coming on? http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/ItsAlive/ shows wxPython working with Python 3.2.
Comments on how stable it is and how easy to install would be helpful.
I have been using Phoenix now for half a year and are very happy with it. A release is on its way. For most platforms there are snapshot builds which are easy to install.

See e.g. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wxpython-users/soHFLOrerVs/MSijBTQ6KAAJ

The snapshot installation does not include the demo and the .chm help file (yet?). These and the book I found to be the most helpful resources (much more usable than online reference documentation as e.g. with Qt).

I think that wxGlade is the most promising Python GUI builder and I'm confident that it will see improvements to increase usability. I have tried some others from time to time, including also QtCreator, but none was really convincing.

Regards,

Dietmar

Qt and Qt Creator often come up in searches for Python GUI libraries. I need to decide weather to upgrade to wxPython.Phoenix and Python 3.5 (as soon as I upgrade to win 7!) or switch to Qt which I don't know at all. It would be interesting to hear your experiences of trying Qt and why you've stuck with wxPython in the end.

Thanks,
John