On 6/18/2016 3:04 AM, Michael Vilain via Python-list wrote:
In article <f632164f-11ce-4383-a268-db5c44645...@googlegroups.com>,
 supp...@ecourierz.com wrote:

use notepad++

To me, for programming only in Python, IDLE beats Notepad++. Some features noted below.

[pay no attention to the little windows troll behind the curtain]

"best" is subjective.  Anytime someone wants the "best", I ask "what
features are important to you that would make it the best" because I'm
pretty sure what I find important wouldn't be what they find important.

Things I've seen in a bunch of straight editors:

- syntax coloring
- parathesis/block matching
- auto indent
- expansion of keywords, variables, subroutines
- integrated documentation so you don't have to lookup the syntax and
arguments of a function
- integration with code management systems (svn, git, github)
- regular expression searching
- multi-file regular expression search/replace
- multi-pane/window diff/merge
- programmability (e.g. write/store macros to perform repeatable tasks)
- integrated compile, run & syntax checking (this is really a function
of an IDE)

When compile of text in editor fails, the cursor is moved to the spot where indicated by the compiler.

When compile succeeds but there is a runtime error, one can jump from traceback to any of the file and line specified in the traceback. This is *extremely* useful.

When one runs the integrated grep over part of the directory tree, one can jump to any of the file/line hits.

- interactive debugger (program stepping, expression & variable
evaluation, breakpoints, watchpoints, macros) [this is why I like perl]
- extensibility to add features (lint or code formatting, special
framework, etc.)

What's the best? That's your homework.  Write 500 describing what is the
Best editor and why.

--
Terry Jan Reedy