On 2016-07-03 08:29, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
(Hm. Python seems to understand that the character occurs in what is
intended to be an identifier. Perhaps that's a default error message.)

I suspect that "identifier" is the final catch-all token in the lexer. Comments and strings are clearly delimited. Keywords, operators, and [{(braces)}] are all explicitly whitelisted from finite lists. Well, I guess it could have been intended by the user to be a numerical literal, but I suspect that's attempted before identifier.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco