On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 07:58 pm, BartC wrote:

> On 12/08/2016 10:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM, BartC <b...@freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> You can be too dynamic. Take an example like this:
>
>>>  d.yaer=1999
[...]
> How would a linter know that you didn't /want/ to create a new attribute
> called 'yaer'?

Of course the linter can't tell, but it is the job of the linter to complain
about things which *might* be errors. You don't have to listen to the
linter. Think of it as your mother nagging you to put a sweater on because
she's cold. It is the job of the compiler to complain about things which
*definitely are* errors. Think of compiler errors as your abusive father
threatening to beat you with a thick leather belt if you don't do *exactly*
what he says.

> And unit tests (which I only vaguely know about) I don't think are
> universally used.

Well, of course. There are still plenty of people whose coding paradigm
is "Oh, it compiles? Quick, ship it!"

> People like to use dynamic languages to code rapidly
> and informally.

And you can do that. And you can also code rapidly and formally with Test
Driven Development, Agile[1] and Scrum.

[1] Often misused to the point that Agile and Scrum are considered by some
to be forms of class warfare conducted by management against programmers.
Especially when combined with stack ranking, quite possible *the* most
employee-hostile management technique since keel-hauling. But Agile itself
is not to blame for the abuses it is put to.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.