On 8/11/2016 11:55 PM, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 2:25:05 AM UTC+12, Terry Reedy wrote:

When I read something like "Python finally acquired an event loop in
3.4" I wonder where people have been.  The tk event loop has been in
Python perhaps for 2 decades...

As was pointed out to me just a few days ago, that’s Tcl, not Python.

Tk is part of Tcl/Tk.  Tk's mainloop() calls level tcl loop functions.

The tkinter and _tkinter modules are Python stdlib modules. For timer-based callbacks, there is little difference between using tkinter and async modules. The fact that async uses a Python-coded event loop while tkinter uses a Tcl-coded loop is nearly invisible. Several other stdlib modules wrap 'foreign' code too.

--
Terry Jan Reedy