Il 18/10/2016 03:25, Paul Rubin ha scritto:
If you're just getting started and you're not trying to make something
super slick, I'd suggest Tkinter.  It's easy to learn and use, you can
bang stuff together with it pretty fast, it's included with various
Python distributions so you avoid download/installation hassles, and
it's pretty portable across various desktop OS's (not mobile for some
reason).

Is there a visual GUI builder for Tkinter? What I like about gtk/glade is a good separation between the code of graphical elements and the code of funcionality/behaviour (somewhat similar to CSS). The widgets are designed and customized with Glade application that generates a xml (.glade) file that can be supplied directly to the python script.
In theory, it is very clean and simple.

So I'd like to have a visual GUI builder. I have many problems to imagine the GUI in my mind when writing code.

The downside is that you get industrial-looking UI's that
implement typical GUI functionality but don't have ultra precise control
or carefully crafted widgets like some of the other toolkits do.

Could you explain better what do you mean with "industrial-looking UI"? What can I do and what *can't* I do with Tkinter?

Kivy (kivy.org) also seems worth looking at if you're trying to be
cross-platform.  It runs on both desktop and mobile.

It seems nice.  Does it use the native look&feel on Windows?

<off_topic>
Although, one of
my mobile-using buddies tells me that mobile apps are now passé and
these days people just write web apps for mobile.

I'm not sure this sentence is correct. *Big* services (mainly social, facebook, linkedin, ...) have a custom mobile app for Android and iOS. They also have a website (I can check my Facebook profile through a simple web browser or through the related app), but they insist to install an app.

</off_topic>