On 03/23/2017 01:45 AM, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> The information must be somewhere because Python must have been compiled
> frequently and correctly for the various (important) OSs before making
> it available to the public. And I do not think that it is left up to
> "your luck" that the required packages and libraries are present.

The information is essentially present in the recipe files that create
the binary packages.  As new versions come out, the distro maintainers
modify the recipe file (in the RPM world, that's a SPEC file,
distributed with the SRPM packages) when needed, based on trial and
error, and also on the release notes for the upstream project.

In SRPM spec files, there is a list of "build-requires" that list what
packages (usually -devel).

For Debian, as you've been told a while back, apt has a command to
install the dependencies needed to build something:

apt build-dep python3

After that, you can download the latest Python 3 debian source package,
and then modify it to build the newer tarball.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

So to answer your question, the list of what's required to build
something is built into the distro package system, and that's where it's
also maintained. Also the default build options for packages are set
there as well.