On 13/04/2017 09:08, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 16:30:38 -0700, bart4858 wrote:

(Although I think Python would have difficulty in turning x+=1 into a
single opcode, if using normal object references and a shared object
model.)

You know, since Python actually exists and isn't just a hypothetical
language, we can find out what it actually does, not just guess :-)

import dis
code = compile("x += 1", "", "single")
dis.dis(code)
  1           0 LOAD_NAME                0 (x)
              3 LOAD_CONST               0 (1)
              6 INPLACE_ADD
              7 STORE_NAME               0 (x)
             10 LOAD_CONST               1 (None)
             13 RETURN_VALUE

There's an op-code for looking up the name 'x', another to push the
constant 1 on the stack, an op-code for "INPLACE_ADD", followed by an op-
code for STORE_NAME again.

In principle, we could replace the LOAD_CONST and INPLACE_ADD with a
single op-code that combines the two. Whether that would speed anything
up is another question.

Is it possible to skip the STORE_NAME op-code?

If the starting-point is the existing byte-code of a program, then what can be done is more limited.

If the optimiser can generate new byte-codes, then it might be possible to add an extra indirection, so that:

  LOAD_NAME     (x)

instead becomes (for example):

  LOAD_NAME_REF    (x)
  INPLACE_ADD_REF

The latter doing all the work (indirectly access x, work out x+1 and create a new object for that if necessary, then rebind the original x to that new value, because now we have a reference to the name).

This means the byte-code set and the work some of them have to do is more complex, but it has been suggested that reducing the number of byte-code dispatches can be beneficial.

If you knew *for sure*
that the target (x) was a mutable object which implemented += using an in-
place mutation, then you could, but the only built-in where that applies
is list so even if you could guarantee x was a list, it hardly seems
worth the bother.

I think x+=y is most usefully optimised when x and y are numbers. But numbers can't be modified in-place, not in general.

--
bartc