On 17/05/2017 00:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:01 AM, bartc <b...@freeuk.com> wrote:

You mean like wheel files? Yeah, whodathunk. They don't need a C
compiler or anything.

I don't know if that's the same kind of thing. I'm not talking about something like a binary distribution or something that self-installs.

I mean distributing actual source that needs to be built (so independent of platform or compiler), but without having to download a sprawling directory structure with thousands of files simply because that's the layout needed during development. It's sort of in-between the developer's sources, and a binary executable.

What do you mean what /I/ support?

Your programs. Anything you release. On how many of those combinations
do they work?

I'm not talking about my programs for a change. (I mentioned my compiler as an example of one that is faster than tcc but not as fast as gcc.)

And it sounds like the CPython developers have never used a compiler other
than gcc or MSVC, and the latter only reluctantly.

gcc, clang, msvc. That's three major compilers, at least one of which
is available on every major platform in use today. And at least one of
which is available on minor platforms too (gcc on OS/2, for instance,
which Python used to support until recently).

In the CPython sources, there are references to GCC, clang, MSC (I assume MSVC) and (oddly) WATCOM.

It should be a piece of cake, yes?

Well, let's see. What C standard does TCC support? What standard
library does it provide? If it supports all of C99 and links against
(say) GNU libc, then it's probably going to be fairly straight-forward
to compile CPython. If it supports C99 but has its own libc, you might
have to detect features to find out what you can and can't do with
it... yaknow, how the configure script does. That's what it's for. And
if TCC doesn't support C99, you may have major hassles.

OK. Now you understand what I meant that trying to compile CPython [with TCC] was complicated, in order to get an idea of what performance would be like.

--
bartc