On 17/05/2017 21:49, Chris Angelico wrote:

Before you can build CPython with Tiny C, you need to be sure that Tiny C can:

1) malloc and free arbitrary blocks of memory
2) open and close files and do other file system operations

It would be a bit limiting if it couldn't! Tiny C isn't a toy (I did think so once before I tried it). It's just very small and very fast.

With building, you just have to try compiling and linking (given the right file information) and see what errors arise.

3) perform trignometric calculations (sin/cos/tan and friends)
4) start threads and subprocesses
5) ascertain the time of day and any other clocks available
6) acquire and release semaphores
etc, etc, etc.

These features are provided generally by the C standard library. Does
Tiny C support all of those? If so, how? Do you include a full
standard library, or link against someone else's?

I'm not the author of Tiny C, so I wouldn't know.

My own approach with the standard library is that I just use what is provided by the OS (so msvcrt.dll or libc.so.6).

I expect Tiny C does the same as it doesn't appear to come with any libraries of its own.

--
bartc