On 2017-05-25 21:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM, Deborah Swanson
<pyt...@deborahswanson.net> wrote:
Anyway I can confirm that VS is not required for installing
and using pip on XP, nor is it required for recordclass,
since it's available in wheel form.

See my tracebacks earlier in this thread. You confirmed that it works in
XP SP3, only.

Doesn't matter whether VS works on SP3 but not SP2 - the point was
that pip works without VS.

Looking at the previous posts, I can see that she failed to install recordclass because it couldn't find a compiler.

When I tried to install recordclass, pip downloaded the sources and compiled them.

I then uninstalled recordclass.

I updated pip, which didn't need a compiler.

I installed recordclass again. Pip downloaded the wheel, and it didn't need a compiler.

So if she's saying that updating pip requires a compiler, then there's something screwy with her system.